Your curbside collection services may expand to include year-round yard waste collection and a new yard waste cart.
Composting yard waste will lay the groundwork for the introduction of food waste and soiled paper composting in the future.
- The addition of year-round yard waste collection will make our service one of the most comprehensive in the region, and the new rate is less than neighboring jurisdictions.
- It will divert approximately an additional 9,000 tons of compostable material.
- It will potentially increase the residential recycling rate by up to 13 percent.
- Yard waste material that’s collected will be delivered to a Virginia-permitted composting facility certified by the U.S. Composting Council.
New Yard Waste Cart
As part of the proposed new service, a green yard waste cart will be distributed to each household unless you opt out of delivery online or by calling 703-228-6570. Opting out of delivery won’t change your household solid waste rate. Pending approval of the program, the annual household solid waste rate will increase to $307.04 for fiscal 2015.
Start using your new yard waste cart right away. After you receive your new cart, we ask that you try it out for at least 60 days. If after 60 days you don’t find your cart convenient and easy to use, you may request a cart pick-up online or by calling 703-228-6570.
Customers should use biodegradable paper bags, tied bundles or personal household containers until their cart is delivered.
Accepted Yard Waste
- Bamboo trimmings
- Dead plants
- Dethatching material
- Flower and vegetable bed debris (corn stalks, tomato plants, etc.)
- Grass clippings
- Ornamental grass
- Pine cones and needles
- Shrub trimmings
- Small tree limbs
- Wood chips
For large tree trunks, limbs or shrubs, schedule a brush pickup.
Leaf bags will continue to be distributed to support fall leaf collection. The County will no longer provide biodegradable paper bags in the spring.
Collection days will change for approximately 2,600 residents. This new service has provided the opportunity to enhance our service by altering schedules that will allow for maximum route optimization and timelier collection in some areas.
- Set your cart out by 6 a.m. on your collection day (and no earlier than 5 p.m. the day before).
- Secure your carts to keep contents from spilling onto the street.
- Remove your carts from the curb within 24 hours of collection.
Missed or Partial Pickup
Report a missed or partial pickup by 1:30 p.m. the next business day so that we may collect it, or it will be collected on your next regularly scheduled collection day. You may report it online using our missed pickup form or by calling 703-228-6570.
Yard Maintenance Services
If you contract with a landscaping company that uses your County-provided collection services to dispose of your yard waste, you as the resident are responsible for coordinating with your contractor to make sure that any yard waste isn’t set out for collection before 5 p.m. on the day prior to your service day, and yard waste is set out in your County-provided yard waste cart, paper bags, tied bundles less than 4 feet in length or personal household containers between 20 and 32 gallons. Your contractor may not use plastic. Plastic isn’t compostable and won’t be collected.