Yard waste: The County will be issuing a yard waste credit to the Household Solid Waste Rate once curbside collection is restored. Yard waste collection has been temporarily suspended since mid-May due to contractor staffing issues related to COVID-19. A date for service restoration is still unknown. An update will be provided once we have restored yard waste service and the County is able to calculate the full credit amount and expenses.
See below for yard waste drop-off locations. For larger-scale material like brush and limbs, scheduled curbside pickup remains available.
Prepare items properly for curbside bulk item trash collection.
Help Keep Trash/Recycling Service on Track
Arlington’s trash/recycling contractor continues to experience staffing issues due to COVID-19. As a result, some routes recently have not been completed on their scheduled day, requiring a follow-up run the next day. If trash and/or recycling is not collected on your service day, leave the carts at the curb the next day.
If carts have not been serviced by noon the second day, submit a missed collection ticket online or by calling 703-228-5000.
To help ensure their health and safety and maintain our collection schedule, please follow these simple steps:
- Minimize setting extra bags outside the cart.
- Keep your spring cleaning pile in your basement or garage for now.
- Flatten cardboard boxes to create more room in the recycling cart.
- Dispose of used wipes, tissues and paper towels in firmly tied trash bags.
- If you have a large quantity of cardboard boxes, drop them off at one of our recycling drop-off sites.
- Drop off glass bottles and jars at a recycling drop-off center instead of throwing them in the trash.
- Make an appointment to drop off household hazardous materials Monday through Thursday. Call 703-228-5000 to schedule.
- Grasscycle and let the cut blades feed the lawn.
- Compost or drop off food scraps and other organic waste.
- Drop off yard waste at one of two temporary Arlington County sites (residents and contractors only).
Drop Off Household Hazards by Appointment
Household hazardous items and electronics can be dropped off safely at a County collection site during weekdays with an appointment by calling 703-228-5000 Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.