About Yard Waste Collection
Use the green cart and paper bags only. Plastic bags containing yard waste can’t be mulched and won’t be collected.
If yard waste has not been collected on your trash day, leave it at the curb. If filled carts and/or bags remain after 12 p.m. the next day, submit a missed collection ticket online or call 703-228-5000 weekdays 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Household Solid Waste Credit
The County will be issuing a $10.77 credit to the Household Solid Waste Rate, which is assessed on customer’s quarterly water/sewer/refuse utility bills. The County’s temporary yard waste drop-off sites are no longer available.
Questions: Call the Customer Contact Center at 703-228-5000 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Help Keep Trash/Recycling Service on Track
Arlington’s trash/recycling contractor continues to experience staffing issues due to COVID-19. As a result, some routes recently have not been completed on their scheduled day, requiring a follow-up run the next day. If trash and/or recycling is not collected on your service day, leave the carts at the curb the next day.
If carts have not been serviced by noon the second day, submit a missed collection ticket online or by calling 703-228-5000.
To help ensure their health and safety and maintain our collection schedule, please follow these simple steps:
- Minimize setting extra bags outside the cart.
- Keep your spring cleaning pile in your basement or garage for now.
- Flatten cardboard boxes and, if possible, try to fit them in the recycling cart.
- Dispose of used wipes, masks, rubber gloves, tissues and paper towels in firmly tied trash bags.
- If you have a large quantity of cardboard boxes, drop them off at one of our recycling drop-off sites.
- Drop off glass bottles and jars at a recycling drop-off center instead of throwing them in the trash.
- Make an appointment to drop off household hazardous materials Monday through Thursday. Call 703-228-5000 to schedule.
- Grasscycle and let the cut blades feed the lawn.
- Compost or drop off food scraps and other organic waste.
Drop Off Household Hazards by Appointment
Household hazardous items and electronics can be dropped off safely at a County collection site during weekdays with an appointment by calling 703-228-5000 Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.