Property Owners & Managers
County Code Information
Arlington County requires that all multi-family and commercial properties provide a recycling system per Arlington County Code Chapter 10. There are four basic recycling requirements businesses and multifamily residences need to follow:
- Co-locate trash and recycling containers: If there is a trash container provided for use, then a recycling container must also be provided if it is expected that recyclable materials would be disposed of at the location.
- Separate Recyclable Materials from trash. These materials must be are collected, stored and transported separately from trash. Tips:
- Label your trash and recycling containers accordingly.
- Keep your most recent trash and recycling bill handy to help answer questions.
- Educate tenants, residents, employees and system users about recycling. Written or electronic instructional and educational material must be provided upon occupancy and at least once per year thereafter. Check out the Recycling System Toolkit for ready to download educational materials.
- Submit a Trash & Recycling Plan every three years.
Annual Recycling Inspection
An Arlington County Recycling Outreach Specialist will visit your business annually to assist in meeting the recycling requirements mandated by the County. The Recycling Outreach Specialist will conduct a recycling inspection, make recommendations and provide valuable resources for business owners, tenants, employees and visitors. You can get more information about Preparing for an Inspection and learn more about recycling systems by visiting the Recycling System Toolkit.
To reduce waste and to streamline our Commercial and Multi‐family recycling program, Arlington County’s Solid Waste Bureau has gone paperless for trash and recycling plan submissions. Re‐TRAC, an online waste reduction software program, will host Arlington County Trash and Recycling (ACT&R). This program will not only contain your trash and recycling plan, but will keep all forms related to your recycling system in one location for easy access and management.
After creating a login, verifying your e‐mail address, and entering in your business name and address, your property will show up as “pending approval”. This indicates that your property information has been sent to us for approval. Within one business day, Arlington County staff will confirm you are located within the County and notify you of approval.
All commercial and multi-family properties are required to complete an electronic Trash & Recycling Plan. It is the responsibility of the property owner or manager to update the plan every three years.
We strive to achieve compliance through education and outreach. However, fines may be assessed in cases where assistance has been offered and the violator continually fails to meet the requirements.
Any property found in violation will be issued a notice of violation and given thirty (30) days to correct the violation. If such violation has not been corrected within the given thirty (30) days, the responsible party will be notified that the property will be subject to a fine of up to three hundred dollars ($300.00) unless the identified violations are corrected within fifteen (15) days. If the responsible party fails to correct the violation within fifteen (15) days, the property will be fined up to three hundred dollars ($300.00) for each day such violation continues.
Contract a Hauler or Self-Haul
Commercial and multifamily property owners/managers should work with a private recycling hauler to set up a recycling program. Often owners will use the same hauler for their trash and recycling services. Remember — you are the customer. It's your right to shop around for the best price on hauling services. Recyclable materials must be picked up at least weekly by a permitted hauler. Commercial and multi-family properties are also welcome to use our Recycling Drop-off Centers.