Metal and Appliances
- Small scrap metal items (50 pounds maximum, each item) can be dropped off at the Inert Materials and Scrap Metal Drop-Off Facility. Refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, dishwashers, trash compactors, air conditioners, water heaters can also be dropped off – a recycling fee applies.
- Large metal items and appliances (air conditioners, cabinets, exercise equipment) should be collected curbside for recycling from residential customers.
Schedule a Pickup
Schedule an appliance or metal pickup online or call 703-228-5000 Monday through Friday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Chargeable items include refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, dishwashers, trash compactors, air conditioners and water heaters. There is no additional charge for multiple chargeable items. Charges will be added to your quarterly utility bill. Metal items not listed above will be collected free of charge but must be scheduled.
How to Prepare for a Pickup
- Pile items separately, curbside or in the street (not in the yard).
- There must be an overhead clearance of approximately 25 feet.
- Don’t pile items under low-hanging power lines or tree limbs.
- Don’t place items next to parked cars. The truck needs at least a 10-foot clearance from cars to avoid possible damage.
Electronics often contain toxic heavy metals such as lead, cadmium and mercury, which are typically found in old-style cathode-ray tube (CRT) TVs and monitors, printed circuit boards, batteries, relays and switches. Also, capacitors in some types of older and larger equipment may contain polychlorinated biphenyls.
- Drop off at the Household Hazardous Materials Facility/Electronics Collection and Recycling Center (located at 531 31st St. S. – Water Pollution Control Plant Gate 3): Old-style CRT TVs are accepted for a $20 recycling fee and CRT computer monitors are accepted for a $15 recycling fee, both due at the time of your drop-off. Exact change required or checks made out to “Arlington County Treasurer.” All other electronics are accepted free of charge.
- Reduce and reuse by donating to charity and community organizations.
- Use curbside pickup for residential trash/recycling/yard waste collection customers.
- Drop off at a biannual Arlington Environmental Collection and Recycling Event (E-CARE).
Schedule a Pickup
Schedule an electronics pickup online or call 703-228-5000 Monday through Friday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m. A $20 pickup fee for CRT televisions and/or a $15 fee for CRT computer monitors will be added to your quarterly utility bill.
How to Prepare for Pickup
- Place items at the curb next to your recycling cart on the scheduled pickup date.
- Small and loose materials should be placed in your yellow bin or a small rigid container labeled “E-WASTE.”
Did we miss your item? Click here to find out how to report a missed collection request.